For most men the NFL season is the best time of the year! Contrary to what most men believe, there are lots of women who LOVE football too (me included)! And there are the women who roll their eyes at the thought of the football season. I know what you are thinking football season is the time of year where men ignore you for large portions of the weekend and where the sight of a TV hanging in a bar or restaurant spells the end of any chance of having a conversation with your man or potential beau! Well you’re wrong! Some interest in football is a huge help for single ladies and will be a huge turn on to your hubby! The game of football can seem very confusing if you don't know the rules, but actually, the basics of football are very simple. To help you ladies out, I am here to give you just enough info to get you through this football season!
- *The object of football is for 11 guys to move the football to the other teams endzone.
- *They can run the ball or pass the ball, this is called the "PLAY"
- *They get four tries to go 10 yards. Every time they try, it's called a "DOWN"
- *If they do get the 10 yards covered, they get another four tries to make it another 10 yards.
- *If they don't make the next down in 4 tries, the ball goes to the other team and it starts all over again.
- *If the ball is close to the endzone on the 4th down, a PUNTER (player who kicks the ball) will try to kick the ball through the end posts for what's called a "FIELD GOAL" (worth 3 points).
- *If they make it all the way to the other teams endzone it is called a "TOUCHDOWN" (worth 6 points). They can gain an extra point by kicking the ball through the uprights in the endzone (to make it 7 points).
- *Each team is comprised of an offense, defense, and special teams.
- *Offense are the players who are on the field when the team has possession of the ball.
- *Defense are the players who line up to stop the other team's offense.
- *Special Teams are the players that only come in on kicking situations (punts, field goals, and kickoffs).
- *TURNOVERS: While trying to advance the football to the end zone, the offense may accidentally turn the ball over to the defense in one of two ways
- *THE FUMBLE: When the ball carrier or passer drops the ball, that's a fumble. Any player on the field can recover the ball by diving on it or he can run with it. The team that recovers a fumble either gets-or retains-possession of the ball.
- *THE INTERCEPTION: An aggressive defense can regain possession of the ball by catching (intercepting) passes meant for players on the other team. Both fumble recoveries and interceptions can be run back into the end zone for touchdowns.
- *PENALTY: A sanction called against a team for a violation of the rules. Result in moving the football toward the offending team's end zone, usually either 5, 10, or 15 yards, depending on the penalty.
Now that you know all these facts about football, it's time to look cute while your showing off! Grab some New York Giants apparel from Ooh and enjoy some Sunday Football !