2014 MTV VMAs...The best and worst of the red carpet
Posted on August 25 2014
The MTV Video Music Awards are known for having one of the wildest red carpets of any of the awards shows, and last night was no exception.
We weigh in on who looked great (so many pants!), who could've looked better (so many prints...), and who should fire their stylist immediately (hint: it's Amber Rose).
1. I'm pretty sure Gwen Stefani stopped aging 15 years ago. She looks amazing in this two piece pink and black emsemble. Everything about this look works - it's fun, age appropriate (we're looking at you, J.Lo), and accessorized perfectly. When it comes to rocking the MTV red carpet, Gwen knows exactly what she's doing.
2. A year after the performance that rocked social media at the 2013 VMAs, we got a toned down Miley Cyrus on the red carpet last night. Her crop top and pant look is almost demure compared to what she usually wears, and the metallic shoe gives just the right amount of pop. We like this Miley. Keep it up, girl!
3. Jordin Sparks looked so classy in this all white outfit. It's sexy without revealing too much and she looks super confident in it. You can always tell when a girl just knows she looks good.
4. Kendall and Kylie Jenner gave us a 2-for-1 as far as best dressed for last night. Both of these girls looked amazing in head to toe black.
Kendall looked sleek in a sheer top and high-waisted pants, while Kylie had this 1940s boudoir thing going on. The simple accessories
gave both of these looks just the right amount of glamour.
1. Chloë Grace Moretz is the most adorable thing, but this look seems more appropriate for a day at the office and not a red carpet. We still love you, Chloë! Maybe let loose a little more next time though.
2. Oh, Taylor Swift. While we can appreciate you wanting to ditch the sparkly princess look you normally gravitate towards, this (what can only be described as a) bodysuit is just NOT working. The letters, the cut, it's just all wrong. We can't help thinking you look like a cross between an ice skater and grandma's couch. Your legs look insane though. So there's that. Shake it off.
3. Tony the Tiger has finally found his dream girl in Charli XCX. We know the MTV red carpet is the place to take a risk, but this look is just not grrrrr-eat.
4. Kim Kardashian....tsk, tsk, tsk. Love or hate the Kardashians, they are known for knowing how to dress. This look just makes us sad. While we don't exactly hate the dress, Kim just looks so uncomfortable in it. The shoes are cutting her off at exactly the wrong spot, and her hair is screaming, "brush me!" It doesn't happen often, but Kim missed the mark this time.
HAVEN'T I SEEN THIS SOMEWHERE BEFORE?
1. Amber Rose was practically naked last night, and we couldn't help but remember the time Rose McGowan showed up practically naked to the VMAs in 1998. While Amber is a little more covered than Rose was, this isn't a look that ever needed to be repeated.
2. The Britney Spears/Justin Timberlake denim on denim on denim is probably one of the most iconic couple looks, well, ever. And while we do love most of the crazy red carpet looks Katy Perry is known for, this just seems like a bad cover song. When the original is just so perfect, why bother trying to copy it?
Until next year...keep dancing.