DIY Beauty: Summer Skin & Hair Masks
Posted on August 08 2014
With the warm summer months in full swing it's more than likely our skin and hair have taken the brunt
of sunny beach says and wild weekend nights. It's important that we show our hair and skin some love!
This coconut milk and honey hair mask along with this banana yogurt face mask will re-hydrate and
replenish your hair and skin and have them looking healthier in no time!
Banana honey face mask
This cooling mask is perfect for summer skin! While cooling any sunburn you may have it also
adds moisture back into your skin to help prevent that dreaded peeling.
To get started you will need:
2 teaspoons plain, full fat, yogurt
1 teaspoon honey
1. In a bowl, thoroughly mash the banana.
2. Mix in 2 teaspoons of plain, full-fat, yogurt.
3. Once the yogurt is mixed in, add 1 teaspoon of honey. Mix well, until the honey is completely
combined with the banana and yogurt. Your face mask is done!
Apply liberally to your face, concentrating on your t-zone, and any other areas that may be dry or sun-burned.
Let the mask dry completely and then rinse off with cool water.
OK, now for the hair mask!
This hair mask is my all time favorite. It's super easy to make and my hair feels so soft and thick afterward.
Coconut is known for promoting hair growth because it is rich in protein and essential fats, but it is also extremely
moisturizing. These attributes are valuable in growth and maintenance of healthy hair. When applied to hair,
coconut milk provides quick results, and what's better than getting thicker healthier hair almost instantly?
Coconut hair mask
To get started you will need:
1 can coconut milk
3 tablespoons honey
1 empty and clean soap dispenser (this is optional. I find it easier to apply to my hair with the pump)
I used Goya coconut milk and Golden Blossom Honey Genuine Natural Pure Honey.
1. Empty your can of coconut milk into your bowl.
2. Next, add 3 tablespoons of honey into the coconut milk. Combine the two ingredients as
much as possible. The honey is a lot thicker than the coconut milk so it tends to stay in clumps,
3. Microwave the coconut milk and honey for 10 seconds. This will thin out the honey and help
the two ingredients mix together more thoroughly.
4. After microwaving stir the mixture together again just to make sure the coconut milk and honey
are completely combined. Let the mixture cool then pour it into your clean soap dispenser.
If you're not using a soap dispenser for application once the mixture is cooked then you are good to go!
How to apply:
1. Starting at the roots, massage the mask into your scalp for 2 minutes. This will allow your scalp to
absorb the moisture and increase blood flow to your scalp to help nourish your hair.
2. Apply more mask and work down from the roots to the ends of your hair. The ends of my hair tend
to get drier than the rest of my hair so I always use whatever extra I have to just completely soak them.
3. Leave the mask on for no less than 30 minutes, I typically leave it on for about an hour
(or one or two episodes of OITNB...hehehe).
4. Rinse with water, and you're done! Style your hair as usual.
Healthy hair and skin are the staples of beauty, ladies. These masks are quick, easy, and perfect for you to
use before a night out to give yourself an extra healthy glow. Or use them for a night of pampering yourselves!
Rester Belle, ladies, Stay Beautiful.